Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Take Me for a Ride on My Big Green Tractor!

This weekend was by far one of the best weekends I’ve had this summer! Kami, Julie, Devin, and I went to Twin Falls and attended the wedding reception of Heather and then made our way to Rick’s Pig Farm. We had some crazy adventures the entire weekend and it all started with the drive down there.






We decided that even though it was really late we still wanted to cook our tin foil dinners since we haven’t eaten real food yet, just a lot of car snacks and reception goodies. So we built a bon fire in Rick’s backyard and enjoyed our delicious tin foil dinners. It was really windy that night so after we ate our dinners we decided to get blankets and bundle up and look at the stars. We wanted to see if we could see anymore meteors since there was a meteor shower then night before.



We ended up seeing a few until Rick and Julie decided they were done looking at the sky. They ended up steam rolling us and smothering us in the blankets. Before long Rick started running around pretending he was the tooth fairy. Since it was Friday the 13th he thought it would be funny to be a haunted tooth fairy or something like that. So we all ended up running around the backyard in our blankets trying to scare each other.



After enjoying ourselves outside, we went back in the house since it was probably around midnight. We popped in a movie and all conked out right away. I don’t think anyone stayed awake for more than 30 minutes of it.


Saturday we woke up and after a delicious breakfast headed to the pig farm to do some chores. Kami and I got the experience of castrating the pigs while Julie and Devin couldn’t stomach it. We just loaded a bunch a piglets in a grocery cart, then Kami and mine job was to hold them over the cart while Rick cut into them. It was quite the experience, but kind of fun to actually do what Rick experiences everyday on the farm.






Rick then gave us a tour of his pig farm and told us how everything works and as the pig’s get promoted what barns they go to. But the highlight of my day was when we took the four wheelers down to where the tractors were. For some reason I have always been fascinated by tractors and it has been a life goal of mine to ride in one. Not only was I able to check that off my list, but I was able to drive it!!! I never thought I would get this opportunity because they always looked more complicated than they really are. I was singing the big green tractor song by Jason Aldean the entire time…”take me for a ride in my big green tractor, we can go slow or make it go faster!”




While Julie and Devin got their turn in the tractor Kami and I took the four wheeler around the farm and loved every minute of it!



We then decided it was about lunchtime, so we went back to the house to be greeted by an amazing lunch that Rick’s mom had all ready and waiting for us. We then took a look at what was next on our schedule for the day…shooting! So we went and got Rick’s shotguns and headed to the backyard to shoot clay pigeons. I have never been able to hit any type of moving target and even stationary ones can be hard…but I was very proud of myself that I was able to not just hit one clay pigeon, but two. I decided to stop shooting after that since I got two in a row and wanted to end on a good note. We were all really proud of ourselves since each of us got at least one clay pigeon and several stationary targets.



Next on the schedule was swimming. After a long day on the farm and smelling just as good as those pigs, what better way to end the day then to bath off in a water hole on the farm. Rick had made a zip line across the pond but after seeing the guys try it out, us girls just stuck with jumping in the pond and playing on the tractor tube.

After finishing a few more chores on the farm in our swimsuits and boots, we four wheeled back to the house to wash up for dinner. And since we were on the pig farm all day what more should we eat then sausage for dinner!


Before heading back to Rexburg we went into town and tried out the recently opened Jamba Juice and goofed off around at the mall. There were a few sales going on and I was able to get a new pair of jeans and two sweaters. Oh what an experience with my jeans that will never be forgotten, let’s just say even though my face was already red from being sun burnt that day, it turned a brighter red as I got several opinions about how these jeans look on me…even the Aeropostale employee had to comment on them. Gotta love the attention!

We ended up not leaving Twin Falls until 10:30pm which meant we pulled in to Rexburg around 2am. Since I was sitting in the front seat it was my responsibility to keep the driver awake. After that long day in the sun I definitely was struggling to stay awake but I managed to stay awake and talk to Devin (who was driving) so he didn’t fall asleep while at the wheel. But I am happy to say we made it back safe and sound and I enjoyed a 3 hour nap on Sunday. Thank goodness Sundays can literally be a day of rest for me, especially after such a fun weekend with little sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment